Photo: Shabbir A BasharReading Time: < 1 minute
A Biman Bangladesh Boeing 737-800, performing flight from Dhaka to Chittagong (Bangladesh) with 134 passengers and 14 crew, suffered an attempted hijack.
- Aircraft was climbing out of Dhaka when a passenger armed with a gun attempted to intrude the cockpit and force the crew to fly to Chittagong, where he wanted to talk to Bangladesh’s Prime Minister.
- The crew continued the hop to Chittagong, declared emergency and landed safely.
- The passengers and crew except the gunman were able to disembark, while security forces engaged the man in negotiations trying to convince the man to give up. When a shot was fired inside the aircraft security forces opened a raid and fire severly wounding the gunman.
- The gunman was taken to a hospital where he died.
- Bangladeshi Authorities opened an investigation in how it was possible to carry a gun on board in Dhaka.
- The aircraft was bound to fly to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) following the scheduled intermediate stop in Chittagong.