Category: World

MRO Sector to Top $75b In 2017, As Worker Crunch Looms

The MRO industry may struggle with a shortage of qualified technicians as soon as 2022 – the fallout from a period of record aircraft orders and reluctance by airlines to retire older types, according to aviation industry consultants. The shortage will come, however, as the global MRO industry continues a period of continued projected growth. […]

Mitsubishi Plans MRJ Debut at Paris Air Show

Mitsubishi Aircraft is working to bring one of its MRJ regional jet prototypes to the Paris air show. “We are making preparations at the moment, assuming that we are able to bring the aircraft, we want to bring it to the Paris air show,” its new president Hisakazu Mizutani tells FlightGlobal in an interview at […]

The Birthplace of New Russian Strategic Bombers

An aircraft factory in Kazan is expected to become the birthplace of a new generation of Russian Tu-160 long-range supersonic bomber aircraft known throughout the world as the White Swan. Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has confirmed that the assembly of the new supersonic heavy strategic bombers will be taking place at an aircraft […]

Embraer to Partner with Uber for Electric VTOL Taxis

Embraer announced an agreement with Uber to explore the concept of an ecosystem—dubbed Uber Elevate Network—that will allow the potential development and deployment of small electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (VTOLs) for short urban commutes. The announcement was made in Dallas, Texas, in the opening session of the Uber Elevate Summit. This preliminary partnership […]

F-35As Deploy to Estonia For the First Time

Two F-35A Lightning II aircraft and approximately 20 supporting Airmen arrived at Ämari Air Base, Estonia, today, from RAF Lakenheath, England. The F-35As are participating in their first-ever training deployment to Europe. The aircraft and total force Airmen and are from the 34th Fighter Squadron, 388th Fighter Wing, and the Air Force Reserve’s 466th Fighter […]

Pratt & Whitney Launches EngineWise™ Service Brand

Pratt & Whitney, a division of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), announced its new EngineWise service brand that illustrates the company’s commitment to helping airlines and lessors run their businesses efficiently. “Our EngineWise brand is all about sharing our engine expertise and fleet intelligence with Pratt & Whitney customers so they can optimize engine performance […]

Rolls-Royce Wins $300m Order From Lion Group

Rolls-Royce has won a $300m order from Lion Group for Rolls-Royce Trent 700 engines to power three new Airbus A330 aircraft, supported by Rolls-Royce’s flagship engine service, TotalCare®. The Lion Group already operates three of the aircraft, all powered by the Trent 700 engine. Edward Sirait, CEO, Lion Group, said: “These aircraft are an exciting […]

EASA Proposes New Certification Specifications for Airports

EASA proposes new certification specifications (CS) for aerodrome design in order to facilitate the operations of modern large aeroplanes at existing aerodromes. Modern aircraft have very precise guidance systems for landing / take-off and taxiing; this means that the current international and European provisions for designing runway, taxiway and other areas can be lightened without […]

Moscow Airports Report Increased Traffic Growth in March

The number of passengers served by Moscow’s Domodedovo, Sheremetyevo, and Vnukovo airports increased by 16.4% year-on-year to 6.071 million, the Federal Air Transport Agency (FATA) reports. To compare, the February growth across the three airports stood at 15.4%. Vnukovo saw its passenger traffic decline year-on-year in March; the Sheremetyevo figures remained unchanged, while Domodedovo built […]

Kazakhstan Bans Foreign Ownership of Country’s Airlines

The parliament of Kazakhstan has approved legislative amendments banning foreigners from holding more than 49% ownership of the country’s airlines, Kazakhstan Today newswire reports. The amendments are being introduced as part of preparing flag carrier Air Astana for privatization. Currently, 49% of the airline is owned by British company BAE Systems, with the remaining 51% […]