Photo: Mike PrendergastReading Time: 1 minute
A Virgin Australia Avions de Transport Regional ATR-72-212A, performing flight from Sydney to Canberra (Australia), reported both engines rollback, one after the other.
- Aircraft was descending through 11,000 feet towards Canberra when the right hand engine (PW127) rolled back and flamed out.
- The engine automatically restarted about 5 seconds later.
- The crew continued the descent, descending through 10,000 feet now the left hand engine rolled back and flamed out, also automatically re-lighting.
- The crew selected manual ignition for the remainder of the flight and landed safely in Canberra.
- Australia’s TSB (ATSB) rated the occurrence a serious incident and opened an investigation. The flight data recorders have been downloaded.
- The occurrence aircraft returned to service about 84 hours after landing Canberra.