WOW Air to Make a Comeback Already in October?

Photo: Mario Hagen / shutterstock.com

Reading Time: 1 minute

WOW air, the carrier that after long struggles went bankrupt in spring of 2019 leaving thousands of passengers stranded, is about to rise from the ashes and start benefiting passengers with ultra-low-cost flights again.

The transatlantic carrier is being revived by USAerospace Associates, the US company lead by Michelle Ballarin. While the company, with a $85 million investment into revival of the airline, will own a 49% stake, the rest of the WOW air, or 51%, will belong to the investors in Iceland.  However, the total purchase price was not disclosed.

According to Ballarin, the new WOW air will operate under a United States Air Operator’s Licence (AOL) using both Airbus and Boeing aircraft. Initially it is expected to commence operations with only two planes in October, 2019. Later on the fleet could grow up to 12 aircraft.

According to the local media source Visir, the first scheduled commercial passenger flight will be between Dulles Airport in Washington and Keflavik Airport.

Moreover, the new WOW air is expected to carry not only passengers but also have freight flights both domestically and internationally.