Photo: avherald.comReading Time: 2 minutes
A LATAM Boeing 777-300, performing flight LA-8084 from Sao Paulo Guarulhos, SP (Brazil) to London Heathrow, EN (UK) with 341 passengers and 16 crew, was enroute near Belo Horizonte, MG (Brazil) when the crew decided to divert to Belo Horizonte due to electrical problems, the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) deployed.
- The crew performed an overweight emergency landing on Belo Horizonte’s runway 16 at 01:43L (03:43Z) and became disabled on the runway due to all 12 main tyres having deflated.
- The airline reported the aircraft diverted due to technical reasons, during landing the tyres of the aircraft were damaged and will need to be replaced before the aircraft can be removed from the runway.
- All passengers disembarked safely. The removal of the aircraft however has been prohibited until at least 19:00L.
- Passengers reported there was a strong odour in the cabin, subsequently the captain announced there was a serious electrical fault prompting the diversion to Belo Horizonte.
- Another passenger reported that suddenly all lights and the inflight entertainment system went out, only emergency lights remained. Shortly afterwards the aircraft began the descent towards Belo Horizonte, the crew announced that they had lost all electrical systems and were unable to dump fuel.
- The landing was hard, emergency services foamed the landing gear. About one hour after landing they were able to disembark via stairs. In the terminal it was being said, that the aircraft had lost all navigation equipment, too, the commander flew the aircraft with the assistance of ATC on the remaining radio for a safe landing.
- When the crew finally showed up in the terminal lounge, the crew was received with lots of applause, the captain took and answered a lot of questions.
- Azul Linhas Aereas ATR-72-212A registrations PR-AKJ and PR-AKD have been dispatched to take about 7 tons of equipment, including the needed hydraulic jack and replacement tyres, to Belo Horizonte.
- On Dec 20th 2018 Brazil’s CENIPA reported electrical failures occurred in cruise flight, which also compromised other aircraft systems. The crew decided to perform a precautionary diversion to Belo Horizonte for an overweight landing. As result the brakes overheated causing the fuse plugs of the tyres to open and the tyres to deflate. There were no injuries, the aircraft sustained minor damage.